Faqs Of Sponsoring A Parent's Green Card Bid

5 December 2015
 Categories: Law, Blog


If you are 21 years of age or older, you can sponsor your parents' bid to obtain green cards. Whether or not you are successful depends on several factors, including the location of your parents now. Before attempting to obtain green cards for your parents, here is what you need to know. 

How Do You Start the Process?

One of the first steps you have to take to sponsor your parents for entry is to prove that you are an American citizen. Complete the Petition for Alien Relative and return it to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS. You must complete a separate application for both parents. 

In addition to returning the form, you also must provide documentation to show that you are a citizen. Documentation can include a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, Social Security card, or a passport. You also need to include documentation that proves you are related to your parents. 

What Happens Next?

Once your application is reviewed, it is either conditionally approved or denied. If your parents receive conditional approval for the green card, they must submit documentation to the U.S. consulate in their country that is requested. Requested documentation can include copies of their birth certificates and marriage license. 

Your parents will also need to undergo an interview at the consulate. You also must submit an affidavit stating that you are willing to support your parents through the process. Support is not just limited to sponsoring them. You also have to agree to help care for them financially, if necessary. 

If you and your parents successfully complete all of these steps, they can receive green cards. 

Can They Be Denied?

There are several factors that are reviewed by the USCIS when assessing eligibility for a green card. For instance, your parents' background will be checked to ensure they do not have a criminal record. 

They could also be denied if they are applying for a green card after being deported from the United States in the past. A long-term bar is difficult to overcome. If your parents were deported, they must wait the period of time provided by the USCIS at the time before attempting to re-enter the country.

Even if the process seems simple, you should consult with an immigration attorney, such as Ahmad Law Office PLLC. He or she can review you and your parents' situation and help make a determination on how to proceed to obtain green cards.